what it is...

My photo
Welcome to My Tech Life. I spend so much time reading blogs about everyone else lifes, and gadgets, and whatnot that I finally decided to knock one out myself. Makes sense right? I’m a complete and total card carrying techno-geek and proud of it LOL I’m also a father of a beautiful young lady who is turning into a techophile in her own right. I have been into technology ever since I had my first computer, a TRS-80. It was love at first sight! I am into everything from computers to game consoles, to handheld devices and everything in between. My current passion is wireless tech and cellphones. So basically, this blog will be about tech i find interesting, how it affects my life, and my life in general. Sound interesting? I hope so. Ciao! a.don.is

the bio...

Michigander. I keep trying to leave this damn state and keep coming back to it. Something about it keeps pulling me back. Been here most of my years, with a small stay in Chicago, and short stops in other places.

I'm a divorced father of one beautiful young lady who is growing up way fatser than I want her too LOL Got married for the wrong reasons, so the outcome was predictable. Its all good though. We lasted 10 years and had some really good years. We get along decently now.

Currently in a rebuild phase of my life. It's going slowly but surely. Stay tuned... things can only get better right?

brain storm

Saturday, March 29, 2008

burn baby burn...

so, we had a fire. at the job. actually several fires. electrical apparently. luckily not too much damaged happened to occupied units. we are currently only at about 53% occupancy so that worked out to be a good thing in this case.

anyway, i was on my way home. my day was done. i was actually at the bus stop, headphones on, thinking about the weekend, when i saw a fire truck approaching lights blazing. so of course i'm watching to see where its going. right into the driveway of my complex. damn.

so i go running back up to the building as the firefighters reach the door. i'm yelling "hey i'm the manager!! i have keys!". they look at me and proceed to chop the door down. so i just run up between them and open the door. with the key. took like 1 second. all that damage for nothing. now don't get me wrong, i have nothing but respect for firefighters and what they do. and i know they know their job. but i really dont understand why they chose to destroy my entry unnecessarily when i was RIGHT THERE with the key in my hand.

anyway, it turned out not to be as bad as was initially thought. it was an electrical fire between two unoccupied apartments. exhaust fans probably. the firefighters ripped the bathroom ceilings out of both apartments. so we had that plus the actually fire damage, and then the water damage. but it was contained. the fire chief okayed re-entry for the tenants and we restored power to the building. i called the water extraction/clean-up guys. they came and got started. the red cross also showed up for the one tenant who was displaced due to water damage. after all that was taken care of i went home. totally drained. between the smoke, my asthma, running up and down several flights of stairs several times, and the stress of the situation, i was a deadman walking. all i wanted to do is get home and sleep. so thats what i did.

9:10pm. my "on call" cellphone rings. its the clean up guys. they say that the firefighters are back on scene. there's MORE FIRES!! i am beyond stressed cuz i do NOT wanna go back down there. i don't think i could have physically anyhow. so i call my boss. she immediately says she'll handle. she rocks like that. :) about a half hour later she calls me just to check up on me. i told her i was good just needed to rest and get my breathing under control. i was touched that she was concerned.

i woke up this morning feeling much better but not one hundred percent yet. at least i can breathe. can't wait to get insurance so i can see a doc. its about time for a visit. it's been like 3 yrs lol.

No comments: